Malta offers an unforgettable family holiday in the Mediterranean. Just a 3 hour direct flight from London, Malta offers families spectacular beaches, exciting amusement parks and fun festivals. On top of all this, Malta’s rich history and culture is just waiting to be discovered, with many cultural and historical attractions aimed to captivate a younger audience. With all this on offer, as well as gorgeous weather and easy transfers, Malta is the perfect choice for a family holiday.
The most famous beach in Malta is in Mellieha Bay. This beach is Malta’s longest stretch of sandy shore with turquoise waters that are clean, shallow and safe. Older children (and those young at heart!) can play on the inflatable play parks in the bay as well as have a go on the fun water sport activities. There are cafes, shops and restaurants along the shore, and Mellieha Bay has great public transport links from all over Malta.
Most of Malta’s coastline is rocky. However, the waters are calm and gentle and the rugged shores provide perfect conditions for swimming and snorkeling. Children will love rock-pooling along the shore and jumping into the sea. There are also salt water lidos dotted along the coast where you can sunbathe and take in the incredible views of the Mediterranean.
Both children and adults will enjoy the theme parks in Malta. These parks are easily reachable by both car and public transport.
- The Mediterraneo Marine Park in Naxxar is home to sea lions, dolphins, turtles, iguanas, snakes and parrots! Every day there are fun performances by the animals and if you book in advance, you can even take a swim with the dolphins!
- The Splash and Fun Water Park has something for children of all ages. Enjoy riding the Lazy River, or take your chances on the Black Hole flume. Malta’s biggest wave pool is here, as well as a child’s zorbing pool and water playground.
- The Popeye Village near Mellieha was once the film set for the 1980s musical. Meet Popeye, Olive and Bluto, and enjoy the themed rides and attractions. For parents, there’s a winery based here that offers free wine tasting!
Fun Sight-seeing and Museums
When visiting Malta, you’re spoilt for choice for historical attractions. For some of the best, take a water taxi from Cirkewwa harbour to the island of Gozo. Gozo holidays are perfect for discovering prehistoric temples and kids will love exploring the majestic town of Victoria.
In the south of Malta, in the capital city of Valetta, you’ll find historical re-enactments and audio-visual displays that are perfect for children. The Malta Experience is shown at the Conference Centre, and it’s the perfect way to be introduced to Malta and its rich history.
Festivals for Kids
Children will love the annual Strawberry Festival in Mgarr, Gozo. The town’s square is crammed with all sorts of strawberry delights including ice cream, jam, cakes, and even strawberry soups, ravioli and risotto! There are pony rides available and lots of local folk music to enjoy.
Family Friendly Resorts & Hotels
Bugibba and Qawra are Malta’s largest and most popular resorts and they have everything families need for a great holiday in Malta. Both resorts are located in the north east and have great public transport links, with Luga airport only 40 minutes away. Hotels in Bugibba and Qawra are family friendly, with fun outdoor pools for kids, game rooms, entertainment programs and even mini golf courses.
Top Family Hotels in Malta
- Topaz Hotel, Bugibba – Choose this 4-star hotel for great value and great facilities. There’s a huge fish-shaped pool, games room and kids entertainment program.
- Bugibba Hotel, Bugibba – This 3-star hotel has a great location just five minutes from the beach and close to the resort’s shops and restaurants.
- Hotel Qawra Palace – Qawra: Stay at this 4-star hotel for the best of both worlds; outdoor pools and mini golf for kids, sauna room and a Jacuzzi for the parents!